View Single Post
Old February 25, 2010, 02:40 PM   #12
Slamfire

Quote:
The factory case is 'minimum length' or full length sized, the value when determining head space is .000, that value is placed on the length of the case from the head of the case to it's shoulder when compared to a go-gage. The go-gage is .005 longer from the head of the gage to it's shoulder than the minimum length case from the head of the case to it's shoulder.
Guffey, this is testable. You are saying that factory ammo is 5 thousands less than a minimum chamber. This will be interesting to find out. I am going to have to find some factory 30-06 and measure the stuff, with my Wilson gages.

Quote:
When reaming a chamber I do not use a go-gage (period), I do not shoot gages, I shoot minimum length ammo, if it fits the bolt will not close on a go-gage.
What do you use to set the headspace? A factory cartridge?

Quote:
Stripping a bolt, I am not lazy, it is not required and pushing the bolt forward is a very hit and or miss method/technique.
There are a lot of bolts that have spring loaded ejectors. When I am gaging for headspace I want to feel the slightest resistance to bolt closure. Especially as the powerful cocking cams on a bolt rifle will reduce the sensitivity.

Page generated in 0.03862 seconds with 8 queries