View Single Post
Old March 21, 2014, 10:37 AM   #16
Magnum Wheel Man

Mike... I could probably fit in a barrel liner & still call it "close enough" I see Starline offers both 38 long & short cartridges... I doubt there is much need for the long, since I could likely get the needed ( for CAS ) 600 -800 fps out of a Short Colt case, but either should be close enough to at least "look" period...

on the 44... I called my retired machinist buddy, & we are discussing the practicality of making a collet die... one issue, is the 44 bulldog cases are 44 special cases trimmed to 38 S&W length... so they are quite short to put a functioning collet in place... but he has an idea... we'll discuss later this afternoon

we're currently working on a Walker "black powder magnum" cartridge conversion, & after that, I'm seriously thinking about converting a pair of C&B 36's, to 38 cartridges, just for fancy cowboy shoots like regionals or state, I'd have a hard time giving up my stainless Ruger Montados in 45 Colt for everyday CAS use

another interesting question...

JIM said... "Not that Colt would have chambered or rechambered for a S&W round anyhow." I'm curious if the bulk of the original conversions out there were sent back to Colt, or if many of the local "gun smiths" did more actual conversions than the Colt factory ( yes I know it's hollywood ) but I remember some old western, where the hero takes in some C&B revolvers to a "good local gun smith" for conversion to cartridge guns... I'm thinking, that in actual numbers, probably more were converted outside the Colt factory... but admit, some of you would have a much better idea ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; March 21, 2014 at 10:47 AM.

Page generated in 0.03237 seconds with 8 queries