View Single Post
Old July 23, 2012, 08:16 AM   #1
Apple a Day

review: ATI stock for Mini-14

I wanted a stock for a Ruger Mini-14 with an adjustable buttstock so I looked around and bought an ATI stock. Overall I'm happy with it so far. I do have some comments which a potential buyer might find interesting.

1)They come in side-folding and non-folding. I didn't care about folding it and figured a non-folding would be sturdier so I got the non-folding. What I didn't realize is that the one which "doesn't fold" is still hinged but looks as if it has a metal rod stuck through the joint. It may not have the spring, etc... to properly fold even if the rod is removed but I am sure it can be converted (which I have no plans to do).

2)It's a bit heavier than the original wood stock.

3)You can see from the pictures that I did a paint job on it. The stocks come in the typical 'tactical' colors: black, OD, and tan. When I went to order the stock along with some other parts all that particular supplier had in stock was black. I'm not a fan of plain black so I meandered to Wal Mart and glommed onto some Krylon spray paint in grey, OD, and tan. You can see the results.

4)The rails are the same polymer as the stock, bolted into place. They seem sturdy so far. There is a double-length top rail on the forearm which you can see in the pics. It comes with a rail for each side and one on the bottom. You can see the bottom rail in one pic (with a removable sling stud) which is big enough for a small accessory like a light, LASER, or bipod. The bottom rail is too far forward for a vertical forward grip IMHO. All of the rails are optional and there are covers - as you can see- that snap into place if you choose not to install a rail.

5)The collapsible butt is sturdy and has no play in it... no wiggle. It also has an adjustable cheek piece (up and down) with screws on either side. Mine came with a Skorpion butt pad. For a .223 a recoil pad may seem unnecessary but it came with the package and it's very comfortable.

6)There are LOTS of sling studs and sites to put them. All are optional and you can see there's also a slot built into the butt. Plenty of options.

7)Installation was easy, took maybe ten minutes total. The stock hasn't interfered with normal function.

I'm happy with the purchase. It serves my purpose. Hope the review helps somebody
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2078 (600x196).jpg (141.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2079 (600x450).jpg (197.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2080 (600x172).jpg (128.8 KB, 12 views)

Page generated in 0.04049 seconds with 9 queries