View Single Post
Old August 19, 2013, 11:33 AM   #65
MLeake

Here is the thing about checking to be sure it's unloaded - we are fallible, and we may forget that things have changed since we checked.

A non-firearm example, from yesterday.

Got home recently from the sandbox, and took my motorcycle out for the first time since getting home. (Had family visiting, and other things that kept me from doing so before yesterday.) So I had to reconnect the battery, check tires, fluid levels, etc.

Rode over to a buddy's house without incident. Shot the bull with him for a bit, then wanted to leave. I could not start the bike. Turned ignition and kill switches off, then on... nothing. Would have scratched my head, but that's hard to do through a helmet.

Clutch squeezed? Yes. Kicked it into gear, back into neutral. Squeezed clutch again... still no start, and no electrical indications...

Realized that the kickstand was down. I had dropped it while talking with my buddy, and had not registered that I had done so. The kickstand dropping will disable the ignition on my bike.

So, in a similar way, it would not be hard to absent-mindedly insert the magazine or speed loader in the gun, after having checked it...

Page generated in 0.02622 seconds with 8 queries