View Single Post
Old July 16, 2008, 08:12 AM   #9
bds32

Speaking from an LEO point of view, you have described the worst case scenario. Unfortunately, it has happened several times to plain clothes officers. Uniformed officer thinks the plain clothes officer is a bad guy and then shoots when he see him holding a gun or shooting at a suspect. It's about the same situation with citizens. You have to remember that unless the responding officers have been given a description of you and your actions, you are in bad situation. So I think:

1. The first think you need to do is get out of the open and get behind some cover, any cover. This is before you call 911. This is before, during or immediately after your gunfight, whatever is most convenient at the time. This will help protect you against the bad guy, other armed citizens and police officers who mistake you for a bad guy.

2. Do not holster your pistol, unless you are absolutely sure the guy is completely incapacitated. Personally, I'll need to see brains on the ground before I'll feel certain of this.

3. Call 911 or sound off for somone else to call. Keep them on the phone until police arrive. You'll probably hear sirens on approach but maybe not if the officer wants to conceal his approach.

4. Stay alert for police. At the very instant, you are aware of police presence, I say lay the gun on the ground, making sure the muzzle doesn't point at police, and show your empty hands. Trying to holster at this point may confuse the officer and he could think you're going for a gun. With your hands clear, the officer will simply challenge you, place you in the prone position and handcuff you for safety reasons until he or she gets it all figured out.

Page generated in 0.03501 seconds with 8 queries