View Single Post
Old October 6, 2008, 03:06 PM   #5
Technosavant

(shaking head)

It isn't those bought WITH the license, it is those purchased or disposed WHILE THE LICENSE IS ACTIVE. That is the result of an email from the ATF. The bound book is a record of the activity in curio & relic firearms while the license is active. Whether obtained in interstate commerce (the purpose for the license) or locally (license not necessary), if the license is in effect, the transaction should be logged.

I found the email. First, here is what I asked, just in case anybody wonders how I phrased it:

Quote:
To whom it may concern:

I am a holder of an 03 FFL for Curio & Relic collecting. A number of fellow C&R holders have engaged in a discussion regarding the bound book we are required to keep. My interpretation of the regulations is that a 03 licensee is required to log into the bound book ALL acquisitions and dispositions of curio & relic firearms during the time the license is in effect. This includes those curio & relic firearms that are not acquired in interstate commerce (those acquired not using the license). Others contend that logging of such firearms is not required. I would greatly appreciate a clarification. In short, is a 03 FFL required to log acquisitions of firearms that were not acquired using the license?
Here is the ATF's response:
Quote:
Thank you for contacting the ATF’s Federal Firearms Licensing Center (FFLC) with your e-mail inquiry.

The following are regulatory obligations for the licensed collectors of curios and relics:

Licensed Collectors MUST:

1. Prepare and Acquisition and Disposition (A/D) record as prescribed by 27 CFR 478.125(f).
2. Enter into the A/D record all curios and relics acquired after receipt of the Collector’s license.
3. Provide written notification as specified in ATF I 5300.2, Youth Handgun Safety Act Notice, when delivery of a handgun is made to a non-licensee.
4. Prepare ATF Form 3310.4, Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers, whenever the Collector sells or otherwise disposes of, at one time or during any five consecutive business days, two or more pistols or revolvers or any combination thereof, to an unlicensed person.
5. Report the theft or loss of a firearm, within 48 hours of discovery, by telephoning ATF at 1-800-800-3855. Also ATF Form 3310.11, Federal Firearms Theft/Loss Report, must be prepared in accordance with the instructions on the form.
Note number 2. There is no distinction made between those guns obtained "with" or "without" the license. Sure, they don't speak directly to the question, they just reply with their regulations. But the regulations themselves don't specify how a gun was obtained, only that it was while the license was active.

Last edited by Technosavant; October 6, 2008 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Found the email

Page generated in 0.02497 seconds with 8 queries