View Single Post
Old March 8, 2008, 11:58 AM   #1
Dmanbass

Colt and Replica Lighter Springs Experience

With my Uberti being brand new I wanted to get a lighter action and looked into the lighter trigger and hammer springs. I bought the Colt SAA Main Springs Package and Hammer Spring Spacer from a popular supplier. Here was the info on their site: SPECS: Spring steel. For Colt Single Action and clones. Sold as a pack of three springs. Gunsmith fitting may be required on 3rd Generation Colts and various clones..
Here is what happened to me.
1) I will probably have to remove some metal from the main spring to prevent it from binding in the hammer recess because the new spring is longer.
2) Remove too much and I may experience misfires.
3) The "lighter" main spring looked and felt heavier than the original in my Uberti.
4) When installing the Hammer Spring Spacer (neoprene) the hammer spring screw would not go back on because the hole was no longer lined up. (more work needed)
5) The Hammer spring screw was no longer long enough to go in the hole anyway.
I ended up just using the original Main Spring and one of the "lighter" Trigger Springs that came in the $30 kit. At least that worked for me. I thought I noticed a lighter pull (it may have been wishful thinking at that point).

The kit can and will work, you just have to be prepared to do a lot more than install them. I thought I would post this here so anyone else thinking of this kit might see this and find out more than I did before buying them.

Page generated in 0.03537 seconds with 8 queries