View Single Post
Old August 19, 2011, 06:45 PM   #1
BBroadside

Lee-Enfield No. 4 foresight replacement

I have a Lee-Enfield No. 4, factory thorough repair, shiny nice barrel. It shoots beautifully, theoretically. Problem is the original front sight was way too short. I ordered some new foresights of various heights, but they are slightly different - split base instead of solid base. My original (too short) with the solid base fit snugly and, as expected, I had to tap it out with a punch. My new ones slide in way too easily and would never hold position under recoil.

Should I probably be trying to spread the halves of the (split) base, to make it sit tighter? I guess I could pry with a screwdriver or something....

Or should I use some kind of locking compound? If that happens I don't know if I will just break it free if (when!) I have to adjust for windage. (Smart gunsmiths put witness marks for where the original sight was to make their first windage closer to true. So of course I didn't.)

Or should I give up, move back to the original sight, and try to increase the height? I heard you could do that, with solder or something.

(The painful irony is that I do have a windage-adjustable rear. This could solve a lot of my problems, but the only possible use for the rifle is a World War II match, where it would be forbidden. I suppose the War Office did not take my problems into account when coming up with specs for the No. 4.)

Page generated in 0.02207 seconds with 8 queries