View Single Post
Old November 4, 2008, 05:34 PM   #107
akr

Quote:

The purpose of a light is not to navigate your way along during house clearing--or any other time.

It's to illuminate the target an INSTANT BEFORE you make the decision to shoot. Such a light can be shined at the floor or bounced off the ceiling in order to determine if you're dealing with friend or foe so you won't end up pointing a gun at one of your kids, or Uncle Harry raiding the refridgerator. A room, or hallway, can be illuminated in this manner with enough light to check things out--from behind cover.

The light can be used in a number of different ways, but house clearing with the light turned on isn't one of them. And of course, it can be used to shine in the eyes of a known hostile target so you can see your sights. Boy can you see your sights!

This is basic stuff, I don't claim to be an expert. I'd recommend a video on the subject, like the one Clint Smith puts out, and hands on training as well.

I'd also recommend his tape on house clearing, which he doesn't advocate doing. Perhaps, the main value of the tape is to impress upon you the extreme danger involved, but it has great info in case you abosolutely have to.

My only light, at least at this point, is on my 870 for the purpose of positive ID before using deadly force.
Nnobby45 has it right. Those of us who have weapon mounted lights DO KNOW not to turn them on so someone can shoot at us. They are only to be used an instant before you pull the trigger on a BG.

NRA Lifetime Member

Page generated in 0.03463 seconds with 8 queries