View Single Post
Old January 12, 2009, 11:21 PM   #113
JuanCarlos

Quote:
but non-college students are OK? Or is this another case of "no one but me is professional enough..."

I think we are all guilty of this from time to time. We assume that anyone who isn't like us is responsible.
I think this is a huge stumbling block in ever changing this policy, because everybody thinks "college student" and immediately sees the average 19-year-old hitting a beer bong at a frat party, or whatever.

Nevermind that there are 30-year-old veterans in college (some living on campus, particularly when you get to family housing), or former LEOs, or even perfectly responsible 21-year-olds (and, as you mentioned, drunken idiots who aren't in college but can carry).

Especially if we're talking about CCWs on campus, in which case you're generally talking 21+ (which weeds out most of the idiots...hell, most of the students).

Then you get back to the whole "north side/south side" argument, where for whatever reason I can be legally permitted to carry concealed on the north side of College Avenue, but for whatever reason the south side is off-limits...which makes sense, right?

And of course not all of that was aimed at you, Chui...you qualified your statement pretty thoroughly.

Quote:
The government does by due process of law if I commit a crime. IMO the property owner has no such authority.
This is why I don't think any law should ever recognize this "right" of propertyowners. It should never be illegal to carry on private property...the fundamental right a propertyowner has is to restrict who enters their property, and if somebody carries a firearm on their property against their wishes they're well within their rights to ask them to leave (and not return, and press charges if they do). Beyond that I see any terms a propertyowner sets on my entering their property as requests, and I don't see any reason they need to have the force of law behind them.

Page generated in 0.02508 seconds with 8 queries