View Single Post
Old August 10, 2007, 12:02 PM   #18
Wild Bill Bucks

Desert fox & FF,

The base is a pretty wild place to hunt, but I will tell you a few things that I have noticed.

One of the guys on my deer lease, works the base hunt, and last year they took everyones bow string from them on arrival.(This is to keep anyone from being accidentally hurt, they say) They will put you on a bus, and take you to your hunting area, and pick you up when you are through.

Funniest thing to watch is herds of deer that will be standing around your campers, almost as soon as the buses leave to take the hunters to the field. It's like they know you are going to the woods, so it is time for them to go to the campers, where there is no hunting allowed.

Sometimes when I am driving through the base early in the morning, I will see 50 to 100 deer standing along side the road maybe 25 or 30 feet away.
I guess, since they see 100s of people every day, they just don't seem to be very leary of them.

There are a lot of really trophy bucks on the base, that I have seen, but not very many of them get shot. I guess thats why they are trophies, is because they get smart.

Base is loaded with wild hogs, because there is no hunting season for them on the base, and I don't know if it is possible to harvest one while you are there or not.

I have never had the chance to hunt the base, and because I live so close to it, I have never really had a desire to, but I hope both you guys get a REAL Trophy.

They may be hard to get, but there are plenty of really big bucks on the property.

Page generated in 0.03800 seconds with 8 queries