View Single Post
Old September 14, 2012, 06:58 AM   #6
BlueTrain

Yes, some handguns kick a lot, others, not so much. But it has to be experienced, that is, if you're going to know what it really is.

Most .380 pistols have a surprising kick. But the old Colt .380 Government Model had the recoil of a .22 rimfire. The older Colt pocket models, however, did have a kick. I always thought the Makarov (in 9mm Mak) was even worse.

The Elmer Keith special, a Model 29 with a 4-inch barrel did in fact have a kick. Make no mistake about it. But I thought the Model 58, which was a .41 magnum with a 4" barrel, was no different, though some claim the .41 would (or should) last longer. Don't know about that myself.

The .357 can have a terrific muzzle blast with some loads, particularly with shorter barrels, yet I never thought the recoil was so bad, at least with the lighter bullets, considering the performance. But generally speaking, you only notice the worse thing about something and never notice anything else. What with the recoil of a .44 magnum, I don't think I noticed whatever blast it may have had. At any rate, these were all guns that could easily be fired with one hand.

People always say the .45 automatic is difficult to shoot and I suppose some folks are a little put off by the reputation, which may have got them interested in it to begin with. At any rate, a .45 automatic, Colt Government Model, almost has a recoil like no other. At least that's my impression. It kicks back (not so bad) and then kicks forward (though not so much). It is an odd sensation. Presumably it's present in other automatics but I've never noticed it so much in other guns.

Then they came out with a so-called "Officers' ACP." Nice gun but a real handful to shoot. Not the blast or muzzle flash, there not really being much of either, but the little thing (mine was a lightweight model) was something else when you shot it. You really had to hang on. There wasn't going to be any double-taps. And now they're even smaller. Oh, and this is still one-handed shooting.

I suppose you don't get something for nothing but really, the recoil and blast do not make it more pleasant.
Buy War Bonds.

Page generated in 0.02226 seconds with 8 queries