View Single Post
Old August 27, 2012, 02:54 PM   #8
MSD Mike

I have taken effort’s to insure correct bullet fit. I have two revolvers i am testing with (Ruger Blackhawk and a Smith Model 19). I have reamed the throats on both revolvers to .358 and the bores on both revolvers are .357. After seating the bullet out further I believe (at least in my guns) that alignment must play an important role in addition to fit. Bullets are home cast out of straight wheel weights. Lee Tumble Lube 148 DEWC mold and Liquid Alox for lube. Loaded over 3.0 of Bulls-Eye (740FPS in my 4’’Smith) and seated flush with the case mouth both revolvers have an annoying amount of lead in 1st half of the barrel after 50 rounds. Seat bullets out further so it aligns in the throat with the same load and there is absolutely no leading after 50 rounds. Now I need to up the charge a bit until I get 740 FPS to eliminate lower velocity due to enlarged case space as a reason for the reduction in leading.

Here is a little history with these guns, remember, they have proper throat (.358) and proper barrel (.357) dimensions. No noticeable restriction in the barrels.

Speer 148 Gr HBWC 3. Grs of BE – Shoot em all day long with no leading. Only commercial bullet I have shot with no leading

All other commercial cast bullets (.358-.359) 148 GR DEWC and 158 GR SWC of varying hardness BH 12 and up lead in these two revolvers and any others I have ever shot them out of. This occurs with .38 brass as well an .357 with loads ranging from pipsqueak to magnum and multiple different powders.

Home cast Lee Tumble Lube DEWC’s flush with the case mouth and they lead the barrel's
Same load seated out to engage the throat and leading disappeared.

So anyway, I am easing into casting and will hopefully get smart enough to solve all my problems
Sorry, I guess I have turned this into a leading thread. I am determined to figure it out so I can be one of those guys that says “ I shoot lead at 1200 FPS all day long and just have to swab it out and put it away” Ha, I still have a ways to go.

Thanks
Mike

Page generated in 0.02221 seconds with 8 queries