View Single Post
Old April 17, 2013, 09:17 AM   #66
gaseousclay

Quote:
I have to wholeheartedly disagree. Even if we assume that gun shows are in the "public domain," and not truly private events, why should my character change from that of private citizen to federally-regulated entity, based simply on my crossing the threshhold of a doorway?
it's pretty simple - as a private citizen I don't know if you're Mother Theresa or the next Adam Lanza.

Quote:
Totally disagree. A gun dealer, with the required FFL is engaging in a COMMERCIAL activity of the BUSINESS of selling guns. A private individual selling a gun or two at a gun show is not engaging in commerce, but selling PERSONAL property, legally to another person that legally can buy a firearm. By limiting to friends and family you are limiting the private seller and buyers rights. What are friends legally anyway? If I sold a gun to you, you'd probably become my friend, right?
now we're getting into semantics. business is still business whether you're a commercial entity or not. gun sellers, commercial and private, attend gun shows to make a profit, which is the very definition of commerce. also, since 'private' sellers aren't required to do an NICS check how do you know beyond a reasonable doubt iif someone is legally able to buy a firearm? you don't, and that's the crux of the issue. buying or selling a gun to a known family member is one thing, buying and selling to a complete stranger is another

Last edited by gaseousclay; April 17, 2013 at 09:23 AM.

Page generated in 0.02304 seconds with 8 queries