View Single Post
Old October 28, 2009, 09:37 PM   #3
KellyTTE

MSG Howe video taping the students

DAY: 6

The students shooting the standards on shirts covered targets

This was the final day, weather for Saturday and Sunday had been pretty much perfect. 70's, light cloud cover. We had a great group of students, several of which were very talented and a couple of guys that needed some work/guidance. Some of the instructors were tired, and being on your feet for 6 days straight had been an eye opener to a few. After a classroom review of the video we hit the range and broke the students into smaller groups to shoot modules: barricades, shirts, movement. After those modules, we broke for lunch and then had the students shoot the standards on shirt covered targets to show how people don't have scoring rings and you still have to maintain your accuracy. We also shot the Mary-Katherine module (hostage drill) and I'm quite pleased to note that our team had did very well in its 200 shots. After the modules were all done we had the students shoot the standards under time. None of the students passed, but they did get to take the standards with them as a baseline for future performance. And I'm sure that CSAT will be seeing a lot of those faces again.. and again..

EPILOGUE

The Instructor Class Photo

When the final curtain fell, we had 13 new CSAT instructors. Unfortunately, we had a few folks that didn't make it. They were very close, but time and pressure were ever present enemies. I suspect that at some point in the future, they'll be back having practiced the standards to demonstate to MSG Howe and I wish them the best of luck. I know that we all gained tremendous insight into teaching and the why/how of MSG Howe's methods. There were no burning cars or flashy explosions or cool guy drills, but I wouldn't trade what I learned for any of that. I cannot emphasize how valuable this sort of learning is when you're learning from the source itself. If you get the chance, you should mark CSAT and Nacogdoches on your map.

Above the barracks bar

GEAR USED

Stock 3rd Gen Glock 17 (w/ Glock extended mag & slide release)
TLR-3 Weapons Light
Bladetech OWB Belt Holster
Sellier & Belliot 9mm
Spec Ops Brand Riggers Belt
Spec Ops Brand Dump Pouch
Uncle Mike's Dual Mag Pouch
Coyote Tactical Trauma Kit
Howard Leight Impact EarPro
Ice Tactical's Training Log

Written by Kelly H.

All information is the intellectual property and copyright of TTELLC.net and may not be reproduced by any means, known or unknown without prior written authorization.

Page generated in 0.03022 seconds with 8 queries