View Single Post
Old September 29, 2009, 05:53 PM   #49
MLeake

Disadvantage of having an unarmed BG behind you....

... is real, but can be mitigated by training.

I'm not the least bit worried about whether I could turn while drawing and deal with an unarmed BG, thing hanging out or not. The issues for me are can I do it quickly enough to deal with an armed BG (possibly not) and what are the odds of rounds going places I don't want them to go?

A few years of wrestling, a couple years of kickboxing, and over ten years of aikido may not mean I'd kick the butt of a large and tough BG; they do mean I have very good odds of creating enough time and distance to bring a pocket, IWB, or OWB handgun into play. They also mean that I've trained in keeping him from taking the weapon from me, and that if he tries he's likely to get a couple abdominal or lower thoracic shots from a retention positioned pistol for his efforts.

This doesn't help if he's outside arm's reach and holding a firearm at the ready, however.

Again, my reaction would be based less on "heroics" or "ego" than my own perception of the BG's intentions - IE do I think the person is likely to harm me whether I comply or not? If so, then resistance becomes the far better option. If not, then compliance might be safer and wiser.

As far as the "disadvantage" of defending oneself with one's junk hanging out, if a 91 year old man can do it, then I suppose I can, too:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/topic/sf...,4074945.story

Cheers,

M

Page generated in 0.03627 seconds with 8 queries