Thread: Long Range?
View Single Post
Old October 19, 2008, 05:35 PM   #17
fisherman66

Quote:
Now, none of this has anything to do with killing critters that appear as mere specs in a rifle scope, but what about Dan Kinneman? He shot a prairie dog at 2552 yards with a 300 Rem Ultra that I built for him in 2004. It made the cover of Small Caliber News. He called that shot by the way and the article goes into detail as to how much time, money, and effort went into the whole venture. Bruce Ardis (sorry if I spelled that wrong) from Pueblo, CO killed a prairie dog at 2.5 miles with an Ackley 308 using a 220 grain Sierra MK! He called it and nailed it in three rounds if memory serves me correctly. Check out Precision Shooting, I believe it was in the spring edition of 2001. Bruce builds his own rifles btw and I believe that this particular shot is still recognized as the single longest distance recorded kill on a living creature with a bullet shot from a shoulder fired small caliber rifle.

A good number of these people are close and personal friends of mine. They are more than that, they are mentors and I consider it a privilege to call them friends. So with that, I also consider some of the blanket statements made here as an attack of their character. Not cool.
Vermin don't concern me. Ultra long shots on legal game do bother me. Just because one can, doesn't mean one should. Pushing the level of shot outside of a "routine" shot risk a miserable death all for one's ego. I may be a Fudd, but I like the connection I get in the woods. I don't know if I'd feel as connected with a 20x atop my pole.

Page generated in 0.03476 seconds with 8 queries