View Single Post
Old June 7, 2010, 10:16 PM   #1
Anthony

Tactical Scope for AR-10: Variable versus Fixed Power

Hello Everyone,

Of you have seen my other recent post, you know that I have been shopping for my first tactical scope for my AR-10 long range riflery. I have been leaning toward a variable power Leupold or U.S. Optics model with it's reticle in the first focal plane. All I can say is WOW to the price point. Now don't get me wrong as I do not mind spending money on good equipment, but this will be my first scope purchase and I want to do it right the first time.

While I was talking with a gentleman over at U.S Optics about my needs and the discussion turned toward the price of variables he asked if I had ever considered a fixed power scope. I had not and asked what the price difference was for comparable fixed power model. It was about $1000 less!

So I would really like to hear from some experienced riflemen who prefer a top quality fixed power scope over a variable. Some argue that the high power (e.g. 17x) fixed model is more difficult to use at close range or hold steady in the offhand position while some highly respected rifle instructors like Dave Lauck are on the record saying that while it is more difficult it is nothing that cannot be solved with adequate training and practice.

I would love hear from some dyed in the wool fixed power users to get the other side of the story.

Thank you for your input.

Anthony

Page generated in 0.03572 seconds with 8 queries