View Single Post
Old October 12, 2011, 06:36 PM   #17
Mike / Tx

I personally haven't cast a boolit for any 9mm, but from what I have read it CAN be a bit of a pain in the backside.

That said, go for the 38 initially, and get your feet wet. Remember that any boolit can be tumble lubed and if you want to use a harder wax based you can always pan lube just as easily.

I highly recommend looking up White Label Lubes, and get their version of the Alox, same as what Lee sells only more for cheaper. He also sells a couple of stick lubes meant for the lubrisizers which can just as easily be used as a pan lube option.

On the molds and sizing dies I would personally recommend sticking with the Lee molds until ou have an idea of what your doing and where you really want to go. There are a lot of folks who downgrade the Lee molds, but to be honest, if you cannot use a Lee how do you expect to use one that cost 4-5 times more? For roughly 20 bucks you can get a two holer or for another 18 you can get a 6 banger. Me I went with the 6 right form the start. I started off only using the two end holes then graduated up form there. If you get the 6 banger be sure to get the handles as well.

As for sizing, well depending on what your bore slugs to, you may or may not need to size the Lee boolits, depending on your alloy and temp. I use the .452 - 250gr RF right from the mold in my 45 ACP with the Alox lube and it runs just fine. I haven't tried it in my 45 Colt yet but do not see any reason why it shouldn't work equally as well. I'm shooting the .452-300gr GC Lee in my 454 and it shot tighter than I can hold it to 50yds and the hog I rolled rear over ears a couple of weeks ago would testify they work really well. LOL

One last thing I would suggest, start putting away a little here and there to pick up alloy when you can. WW are great, if you can find them, I can't in my area. I have been picking up small batches from forum members and will consolidate it all into one homogeneous alloy when I hit 6-700 pounds. That way at least when I get ready to pour up something for the bigger revolvers I know it will be consistent. I don't mind having a smaller portion set aside for special projects, but my main focus is the 41,44,45C - 454 revolvers.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask,

Later,
Mike / TX

Page generated in 0.02306 seconds with 8 queries