View Single Post
Old November 25, 2013, 08:44 PM   #1
keithdog

Holster Talk/Guidelines

The last time I purchased a holster was in 1997 for my SW 4013 .40 cal. Now I am down sizing to a S&W 9mm Shield, as mentioned in another recent post of mine. Looking at what is avail on the market today can easily become overwhelming. With so many brands and styles for carry, how does one choose? Myself, I am looking for both an IWB and a OWB holster to start with. Obviously, trying all the various holsters until you find one you like is the way to go. But for someone who has been out of the loop for a while, like myself, what are some basic guidelines to look for in a holster? Plus where would anyone find all the holsters they want to try first? I am looking specifically for a holster for concealed carry, but I believe this discussion could help many others looking for holsters regardless of style of carry.
There are pancake, paddle, clip on -both single or double clip, belt, and so on. Then you have a choice in which cant you want, forward, FBI, straight up and down, and so on. Then a choice of leather, both cow and horse, nylon, plastic, and combos of either.
Did I say it gets over whelming? So what I would like to know from those of you experienced with concealed carry, what do you look for in a holster? No doubt, there are quality holster brands, and some not so quality minded. Some that you love, and others you would call junk. Which brands do you trust to hold up, and which brands are a waste of money.
A couple holsters that have caught my eye, though I have not yet been able to put my hands on are the Galco King Tuk IWB, the N82 Tactical, and Bianchi Professional Waistband holster. Clip on and paddle seem to be more convenient than belt holsters for easy removal and putting on. From what I have seen, there is not a lot of selection in my area. So ordering on line might be an only option. But before I would do that, I would like suggestions of holster brands you trust for fit and quality, and what carry style and particular holster you yourself have chosen. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by keithdog; November 25, 2013 at 10:51 PM.

Page generated in 0.03730 seconds with 8 queries