View Single Post
Old January 19, 2009, 05:33 PM   #44
pmeisel

Having spent a fair piece of my life in Pennsylvania and a few other places where people like me are "bitter" and "clinging to our guns and religion" -- most people (not most on this board, but most in general) vote economic issues ahead of everything, and their general feeling on foreign policy second.

Mr. Roberts earlier, excellent post on party politics and John Dingell illustrates that not everyone can or will be a one issue voter. I met Congressman Dingell only a year or two before that. He told me at the time he spent over 30% of his time on RKBA issues. He also a large amount of his time on auto industry related issues, logical given his constituency. So he apparently he decided he had to compromise on one vote to retain his considerable leverage to accomplish good in the future.

Successful long-term political activism is realistic. We live in a country where maybe 50%, maybe 75%, of our population is lukewarm or ignorant or apathetic about RKBA. We all need to take that into account in our advocacy. Changing tactics is not necessarily compromising core principles.

Page generated in 0.02075 seconds with 8 queries