View Single Post
Old November 22, 2008, 03:02 AM   #15
sikasambared

As I think I mentioned, I returned my Sako when I first got it -- due to some dodgy chequering. Now I figure that was quite a poor thing in itself, but Berretta Aus did deal with it very quickly.

Now I guess that you could say that that was a QC issue that was completely obvious and should have been picked up.

The thing is just so rubust, accurate, and reliable. Heavy though.

I guess achieving reliable .75 MOA groups raises it in my estimation -- now I know how to do it.

I had a chat to a gunsmith I shoot with the other day. His wife is a champion metalic sihouette shooter. He says Sako's always seem to be reliably accurate out of the box. He indicated that the most common requirement he comes across to squeeze a bit extra out is that most of them have throats that are too long to reach the lands with cartridges that can be fit in the magazine -- so apparently I am not alone. That was without me even mentioning the problem.

Now I used to use th e candle black on a bullet technique -- for a while there I believed that my lands were closer in. However, I would usually notice that I only had "land" marks on one side of the bullet. I was mistaken -- I don't believe they were land marks at all! When I purchased an RCBS precision mic -- it proved that the lands are way out there.

So what my gunsmith associate does is takes off the barrel and shortens that distance to the lands by cutting down the barrel appropriately (on a lath I guess) . Not quite sure how that is done, or how m uch has to come off. BUt to use a sako as a target or silhouette rifle that is one of the things he has up his sleeve. 0.5 MOA is what he does that to achieve.

Interesting, huh?

I also said to him that it is very difficult to true or blueprint a sako compared to a remington. That got a pretty short answer from him -- (dont flame me, I did not say it!) -- "they only need to true a remington action because they are made rough in the first place". Now I look at the remington range, and I see rifle's that I really really want. Dont get me wrong. I think a model 7 with the cool barrel coating in 7 MOA is an ideal mountain rifle for NZ, where I do a lot of my hunting (did anyone say how bad hunting opportunities here in Queensland, Australia are? Unless you are a land owner -- you are virtually stuffed -- other states are better).

Yes, I think sako are regarded as top shelf or at least "mid expensive". REturns due to poor QC are going to whittle away at that though, if they happen at a high rate. Leupold are highly regarded. I have begun to think that they are overpriced for what is actually gained. Now having heard that they can be got for $400 direct from the US -- they are back on the menu. VXIII's are just ridiculously priced here.

Are customs able to chip you extra tax if you buy in a scope from OS?
Which supplier did you use?

Matt

Page generated in 0.03383 seconds with 8 queries