Thread: Most accurate?
View Single Post
Old March 21, 2005, 04:05 PM   #2
Sturm

onthedrums, the .222 Rem. has a well deserved reputation for accuracy, so at 300-400 yards and the fact that you really like it anyway, I would just ask, what else really matters?

I watched the Browning benchrest competition a few years ago where the shooters were allowed to use the BOSS system to match the barrel harmonics to their loads in several different calibers and I believe they were shooting at 300 yards. The winner used the CR Boss in .22-250 and his victory was pretty decisive. Could have just been the shooter, or his ability to tune the BOSS system, or whatever. I can't remember if any competitiors shot the .222 and my oppinion of the .22-250 is probably a little skewed, because all of them that I have ever fired were tackdrivers. The best of the lot was probably a Remington 788 with a 24" barrel I bought in 83 that would shoot sub 1/2" MOA with any factory load I fired through it at 55 grains of bullet and the twist rate of most .22-250's is pretty specific to that weight. In my part of the country, the .22-250 is king and probably used for things it was never designed for to begin with. Long distance Coyote shooting is how it earned its rep in central and West Texas.

Page generated in 0.02994 seconds with 8 queries