View Single Post
Old April 17, 1999, 02:29 PM   #9
EricO

".....it is well to remember that those who found them inadequate are in no position to tell their stories." Excellent, Rosco! I've never heard it quite put that way. So true!

bk40, it might help others to answer your question if you mention the specific scenario you intend to utilize your shotgun. By this I mean, are you looking for primarily a home-kept shotgun, in a urban, apartment dwelling, or perhaps more of a rural setting where you may need to use it in longer exchanges. Of course, you may also be asking about a compromise firearm, or one with which can do it all.

As Rosco says, slings should not be used on a "house" shotgun.They give an adversary something additional to grab on to, swing around and possibly distract you, and worse yet, hang up on something and not allow you to shoulder your weapon when you most need it.

In addition to giving you a dead space which is needed to perform a slug select, an extended magazine, allowing for a couple of extra rounds, gives you a little extra safety. In a gunfight, reloading under pressure will be the most difficult task you have to undertake. If you can get around that by starting off with a weapon with higher capacity, do so. It is not mainly for more rounds to throw downrange, it is merely to lesson your chances of having to do a reload under tremendous pressure, with an adrenalin flow that will hamper your fine motor skills.

As for my opinions on the items you mentioned, I don't believe any of them are a waste of money. My Marine Mag 870 has tritium (front only) ghostrings, sidesaddle, extended magazine tube, sling, and porting. I do believe in weapon mounted lights for longarms, and will someday purchase a dedicated one for mine.

EricO

Page generated in 0.03347 seconds with 8 queries