Thread: 44 mag rifle
View Single Post
Old June 24, 2013, 11:43 AM   #5
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:

What is interesting is that when I flip to the handgun section of the same book, it lists precisely and exactly all of the same loads with all of the same powders, nothing being different whatsoever except for the listed velocities of each load...which is of course a bit higher in the rifle.
Which is exactly what I was sayin' in my post above yours. This is not only true in the Nosler recipes, but in all of my other reference manuals also. Hornady, Lyman, Hodgdon, etc. What some do eliminate is the use of fast powders in low velocity loads....I would assume this is to prevent stickin' a bullet in the longer rifle barrel using a handgun mouse fart load. Other than those low velocity loads(I tend to stay above recipes that give 850FPS in a revolver), I generally use the same loads for both rifles and revolvers, with good accuracy and good terminal performance. Since both are built on actions intended for the same SAAMI bullet specs, loads safe for one are safe for the other. Factory handgun caliber ammo(other than levevolution) does not come in rifle specific. One does need to consider the increased velocity the rifle produces tho, in order to use the appropriate bullet. Bullets that expand perfectly at revolver velocities may come apart in an animal at rifle velocities.

Page generated in 0.03056 seconds with 8 queries