View Single Post
Old January 30, 2010, 12:55 PM   #27
MikeRussell

Best is subjective. It depends on the size of the deer you hunt, the areas that you hunt, the ranges that you hunt, the style that you hunt, etc etc.

For example, you take an uber-cool, ultra long range, free floated, whoopy-doo rifle in 30000000 SuperUltraMag into where I hunt and it won't do you a damn bit of good...it's too thick for you to even get the gun around if you jump one on the way to your stand/blind/hunting area.

I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmit in .308Win for more open areas where longer shots can be taken. That rifle will shoot better than most shooters, because face it...over 95% of the people out there cannot outshoot the rifle, aren't extreme marksmen, and tell "stories" about how good they can shoot. The Remington I have was fairly low priced (I think it was about $550 after rebate when bought at Cabela's on sale) and is supposed to be able to shoot .75in at 100yrds (from all the reviews). Last I heard, that kind of accuracy is a lot tighter than "minute of deer".

For the areas I hunted this year, the Remmy didn't cut it (too long and hard to get around in the thick stuff), but there has been some logging so there are areas where it will be good for next year (and a few years after). But to get to where the big bucks are, a smaller/lighter/more compact rifle is needed. Ideally, something like an AR15 in 6.8SPC/6.5G, H&R HandiRifle in .45-70, any lever action .30-30. That would work for me, but wouldn't be as good of a choice for someone hunting Mulies in wide open spaces.

Page generated in 0.02814 seconds with 8 queries