View Single Post
Old February 21, 2011, 04:33 PM   #17
sneasle

My thoughts...

I own a Rem 597 and am currently building a 10/22 custom. I do not own a Marlin 60, nor can I remember ever shooting them.

Take my opinions with a grain of salt, I'm only recently coming back into shooting after a 15 year break or so.

My 597 has been a great little gun. Had it for 2 months now and put about 1000rds through it of high and low end ammo, have only had one FTF (bulk federal), and that round fired on the second cycle. Never had a feed failure, FTE, or any other issues. It shoots well, breaks down to clear easily, and it fairly simple. I like it a lot. Mine is the 'standard' blue barrel with grey synth stock. The guys at RFC heavily factored in to my purchasing of this. I have not make any modifications to it, although I will swap out the hammer in the near future, just cause I can.

One brand I want to recommend that hasn't been mentioned is CZ. Not on your list and not a very common brand and a bit more expensive then the 'cheap' .22's, but they are very accurate shooters and have a very devoted following, especially on rimfirecentral. They also have some of the nicest wood I've seen on factory stocks and their customer service is hard to beat. I just bouth 2x 452's sight unseen from Whittakers (in Kentucky) just because of the reputation that these rifles have. Whittakers is also great to deal with.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-ca...imfire-rifles/

Take a look at their offerings. They all come highly recommended, but I think the 452 is a bit more popular and can be had for ~$380 shipped to your FFL, which is about on par with the 'target' versions of both Ruger and Rem .22 offerings that have a nice wood stock. I bought 2x 452's, one in the American style and one Varmit style and I've got to say they are really easy on the eyes. I would not hesitate to take either one in the woods. They are some of the most accurate out of the box, dime sized groups at 25yards on cheap ammo, quarter sized groups at 100yards with good ammo, no modifications necessary.

One thing to note, these are bolt actions. They do make a SA, but I have no experience with it, although it is of the same build quality of every other offering CZ has.

In regard to 10/22's, I haven't shot one yet. I bought the 597 over the 10/22 as I wanted an out of the box shooter, and haven't regretted it. I'm building the 10/22 as a custom from the ground up for the fun of it. There are so many upgrade options out there you can create something truely unique, but it's neither cheap nor will it result in something I would take hunting, it will be a bench queen.

Just a little more to think on. I highly recommend checking out rimfirecentral, great group of guys that are really knowledgeable about these things.

Page generated in 0.03696 seconds with 8 queries