View Single Post
Old December 5, 2012, 09:15 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

First I left out two key parts of actually brewing the bait... After several hours of the initial filling, the dry corn will have absorbed water so a little topping up may be needed, after this, very little if any will be needed...

Covering to keep out critters is suggested but DO NOT LATCH A LID WITH SEAL TIGHT ON THE BUCKET!!! IT VERY WELL CAN EXCEED PRESSURE CAPABILITY OF THE BUCKET!!!

Using water that is too hot will kill the yeast cooties...
As for other ingredients, I have seen some recipes that look like a real assault on the olfactory system... But I, as both a trapper and a hog dogger who uses bait, I will say that the results, while maybe not the absolute best, were the best trade-off with "risk" vs. reward... More than my gag reflex is at risk... In my area, I could be drawing in black bears too and a landowner might be quick to tear up our land access agreement as as soon as he sees a few bears at a stinking foul bait bile (none you mentioned seem extreme but some I have seen/smelled were BADDDD!!!!)...

Here are a couple application tips I feel (by laws of physics alone) add productivity to the concept...

Digging post holes and filling with corn then a dirt cap with some corn with a liberal dribble of juice on the area surrounding the hole can hold hogs a longer time than just on the ground obviously... But I feel it is a louder way to feed with the rooting and grunting that it may bring in more pigs as their hearing is not far behind their nose in ability... And a bonus for you and a negative to the feeding hogs, they are much less able to hear you while engaged in a noisy activity... And less able to smell your approach with their face buried in the rooted soil than when simply eating kernels off the top...

Long distance hog callin' by scent...
Here is my favorite tip to share as it is obvious, often not considered, yet indisputable...

As you apply your sour wet corn in what ever fashion you wish... SAVE THE JUICE!!! Drain it back into the bucket!!! Then when you can scoop juice only, sling it up as high and far up into the surrounding foliage... If this is a sparse proposition, use rags soaked in the juice and put up on limbs or whatever you can as high as possible (be able to remove or it is litter when done)...

This will but the scent higher up so it is easier to be caught in any breeze and being above the ground more, it will travel much further before being excessively dispersed...

I feel hogs will home in on a good scent from miles away with their super sense of smell so get your bait scent further and faster than the scent of others bait or natural food offerings...

Brent

Page generated in 0.03818 seconds with 8 queries