View Single Post
Old April 24, 2011, 08:50 AM   #107
Ringolevio

Fuhgeddabout "drawing"...

I'd think that, much as one should try to avoid gunplay [what a strange word, eh?], riding the subway late at night (or any other potentially perilous situation) might be a good excuse to employ the "Kojak carry".

Although this is a case of "life imitating art" (like the "Kojak light" used on otherwise unmarked cars), it's a very real tactic that happened to be best illustrated by a TV cop.

The Kojak carry consists of having the gun already in your hand, usually in a coat pocket. It's best employed with a snubby revolver so you can shoot right through the pocket if necessary (a semi-auto's slide will likely be impeded by the pocket and it won't cycle fully).

Kojak (who was said to be based on real-life legendary NYPD Chief of Detectives Albert Seedman) always had his revolver already in his hand in his coat pocket when going into a situation.

Similarly, Massad Ayoob tells that, as a cop making a traffic stop, he would have his duty weapon holstered and a snubby in his weak hand, inside a pocket.

I think if I had to ride public transit late at night I'd have my hand in my pocket for the entire ride.

Page generated in 0.02187 seconds with 8 queries