View Single Post
Old April 26, 2008, 07:26 PM   #4
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Take the ejector wire and open the loop up on the end of it until it. Alson polishing helps.
Nickels, can you complete your statement? I want to make sure I'm understanding what you're trying to say before I do somethin' stupid.

Quote:
I've never encountered the shifting problem your talking about. Is the press mounted securely? Mine is using the largest bolts it could take on a 4" thick beam fastened to the wall. Good luck.
It's mounted very securely. It doesn't budge. The shellplate/primer assembly appears to shift a bit when priming the case with some coercion.

Quote:
I've found that with some calibers (don't know about the .40S&W) like .44 Magnum, finished round ejection works more reliable when I let the press downstroke quickly ... going slow sometimes results in a minor binding at the ejector wire... My .45ACP dies and shellplate don't exhibit this minor issue. I just work a little more forcefully with the .44Mag setup.
I tried to downstroke quicker and ended up with powder all over the place from the case 2 stations back. It caught for an instant and let go suddenly jostling the shellplate.

Quote:
The only issue I've had with priming involves WLP primers and some types of .45ACP brass... the stacking of tolerances make insertion of these primers into certain cases somewhat difficult, but only rarely.
I think you may be on to something, Dedon. I'm using Winchester primers (WSP), which is essentially the same thing only small primers. I'm going to try the CCI primers I bought a while back. I should have stuck to the ones that work for me....Remington. But, I'm playing with my loads and wanted to try different primers...

Quote:
Have you tried calling Hornady? I've been told they can be helpful with most issues. I almost called 'em about my .44Mag issue, until I figured out I couldn't be gentle with it!
No. It was yesterday evening when the issues were apparent. That's when I jumped online here and started to pick peoples' brains. I honestly don't want to get physical with the press. I'd rather just remove the wire if I can't resolve the ejection process. If it won't let me operate with finesse, I'll do without the wire...

Other than these minor issues, I really am liking the new press. I'm not much faster making rounds than my RockChucker. But, I'm deliberately going slow until I know what I'm doin'.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Page generated in 0.03494 seconds with 8 queries