Thread: stuck casing
View Single Post
Old November 27, 2006, 05:57 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

It is difficult (can take weeks) for penetrant to get through the compressed contact the brass makes with the steel. I is is like a compression fitting for your water pipes. However, a good many people have had good luck taking advantage of the fact brass shrinks more than steel in cold temperatures. In the case of the Lee dies, they remove the compression nut and put the rest in their freezer for a couple of hours, then quickly run and turn it into the press and apply the hammer as rwilson452 described. It should also be mentioned in your Lee instructions that the decapper/expander rod may be used as a stuck case removing tool.

I've had one instance inwhich that did not work. Nothing did. Even the RCBS stuck case remover just tore out the head. For that problem I put the whole thing into a jar of 5% ammonia for about 3 months. This ate the case out. It also activated the surface of the steel enough to make it prone to rust, so cleaning and oiling became very important. If it were economical, I would suggest Butch's Bore Shine, instead, since it won't etch steel.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.03642 seconds with 8 queries