View Single Post
Old July 20, 2012, 01:13 PM   #16
Nanuk

Great article.

I am a career leo, recently retired from the USBP. I have been a competitive shooter of some sort most of that time. I never win any matches, never have, probably never will. But I enjoy shooting, it is one of my true passions.

Range Nazi's tend to take the fun out of it. I remember one cowboy match I was in, I had gotten so confused on the course of fire I just started shooting everything. When I finished, I was laughing, the other shooters were laughing, the RO was laughing, one RO came forward and said
"That's nine procedural's". He was shooed off, but it guys like that that take the fun out of it.

I love to shoot IDPA and laugh t every procedural I get. I use the running and gunning first and foremost as a fun hobby. I have competed with the cut throats- no thanks. I use IDPA to hone my skills and practice with my equipment. Up until I retired I ran my duty gun with duty ammo. I was fortunate in that, the USBP has always understood the value of competitive shooting and encouraged it. I was given all the ammo I needed to compete. I even was issued a Les Baer 45 for a while.

Competition is no replacement for training, however, it is a great place to get trigger time and hone your skills. Do I think it will get you killed? Nope.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Page generated in 0.03237 seconds with 8 queries