View Single Post
Old September 13, 2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

"The problem with the Lee Enfield, (and our M1917) in regards to speed of rapid fire is that it cocks on closing as opposed to cocking on opening as the Springfield, and most sporting bolt action rifles.

In rapid bolt fire, the rifle should never be taken from the shoulder while working the bolt."

For rapid fire, cock on closing is FAR preferable. The light bolt handle lift on opening also does far less to disturb the aim than the much heavier Mauser-style cock on opening.

By cocking on closing, there's virtually no rotational torque that can disturb sight alighment. Upon closing, the cocking cycle benefits not only from the forward momentum of the closing bolt/hand pushing it, but also the fact that that force is in a straight line with the rifle and is thus MUCH easier to control.

And, I'm not sure how you're shooting your Enfields, but I find it to be very easy to cycle the bolt on my No. 1 Mk III without breaking cheek weld.

I can also fire my No. 1 FAR more rapidly than I can my 1903A3, and I've had the 1903 far longer, and shot it far more.

"Working the bolt is the same, Palm up slapping the bolt open, as you roll your hand (to get the palm down) you push the bolt back, as you continue the roll the had pushes the bolt home. Just ONE smooth rolling motion as you would roll and slap the hand above yours."

I'm more than familiar with that method of cycling the Springfield's bolt. You do it that way because you really HAVE to do it that way, otherwise you can't get sufficient leverage to overcome the cocking resistance. And, you do realize that every time you change the position of your hand in that maneuver you slow down your total cycle time dramatically?

With the Lee Enfield you don't need to change the position of your hand in relation to the bolt handle at all.

It can be easily manipulated with the thumb, index, and middle fingers, with the trigger being pulled with the pinky finger.

The arm only moves, really, at the elbow. None of the flailing of the hand and arm required by the Mauser or Sprinfield.

There's a good reason why the best of the British Army could fire as many as 30 aimed shots in a minute, something that is impossible to do with the Sprinfield.

Even if you strip away the Enfield's 10 round magazine advantage and fire it 5 rounds load fire 5 load, etc., it still handily beats the Mauser and Springfield.

The Springfield and Mauser are fine rifles, but they are not fast rifles when compared to a Lee Enfield.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; September 13, 2012 at 02:42 PM.

Page generated in 0.02273 seconds with 8 queries