View Single Post
Old July 26, 2009, 02:51 PM   #30
Lost Sheep

Small bits of improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeSpectre
Because although I have a bazillion lights (I'm addicted to flashlights) my wife has a habit of "borrowing" them and not putting them back (Kinda like that notepad I mentioned). So to be sure I have at least one good light on hand it's in the vault along with the gun.
My house handgun lays flat on its left side ready to be picked up by my right hand. I have my brightest flashlight immediately to the left, parallel to the barrel. Spare ammunition to the left of the flashlight. The drill is to pick up the gun and spare ammunition first. Pocket the ammo, than take the flashlight. They are always in the same locations and relative locations. Steviewonder1's idea about mounting everything on a belt (or vest) seems like a bood idea if your gun safe was large enough. That way, you could be completely naked one minute and (at least tactically) fully equipped with gun, holster, light(s), taser, cell phone, remote light controller, pepper spray and doggie treats immediately thereafter. Everything you need but pants and shoes could be on a single belt/vest No fumbling, instant on.

Just because a flashlight is mounted on a rail does not mean you have to use it for illumination. But it does guarantee the availability of a supplement to your primary light. I agree with the caution you all feel about "sweeping" your house with the muzzle of your gun, but sometimes having a light and gun pointed to the same spot is appropriate, as Yankee Traveler said.

I do have several flashlights scattered around the house. One is magnetically attached to my front door (steel door) and it never gets lost or mislaid. It is the only one other than the one with the gun that is that reliably located, but it is not very bright, just regular 2 AA batteries.

To expand on BillCA's comment, to reduce the frequency of diversion of your (backup) tactical light to household purposes, it might be helpful to tie it to its duty location with a "peace string". (I learned this trick from "Prince Valiant" of the Sunday comics; his "Singing Sword" was secured in its scabbard with peace strings, which, if broken, the sword had to taste blood before it could be re-sheathed.) I would hope the threshold act of breaking the string would prompt your wife to search harder for another flashlight before crossing that Rubicon.

ZeSpectre, what you said about your micro tape recorder suggested this to me: In addition to being able to dictate notes (faster than writing, and requiring less attention with your eyes than writing) it can serve as a witness ff you start the recorder from the moment you are equipped and record continuously throughout the event. Useful for legal defense, eh? I recall that for $400 or so you can get a hat-mounted video recorder that records whatever your hat is pointed at. Marketed for Soccer Dads, so one could always be recording in anticipation of that heroic score or block. I heard about it a couple years ago, so have to apologize for not having a web link. I am not sure about recording time capacity, though, or low-light capability.

A really good set of electronically amplified hearing protectors (and shooting glasses while you are at it) would be useful. My hearing is better with the muffs than without and after a shot is fired, you might be the only one in the house who can hear subsequent movements or be able to converse on the phone. Eye protection isn't a bad idea, either, especially if a home invader is equipped with any kind of debilitating sprayer.

You did very well and followed your plan. Congratulations. You are well equipped, with your lights, dog, safe and gear and both well-trained and in possession of the right mind-set (as far as your narrative of this event went). So, I assume you are equally prepared for the after-incident progression of events, as well. So, all my suggestions are just small incremental improvements or afterthoughts.

Bless you and yours, all your house and last, but not least, your dog.

Lost Sheep.

Page generated in 0.02805 seconds with 8 queries