View Single Post
Old December 9, 2010, 11:20 AM   #6
mykeal

Quote:
But after reading some muzzleloading stories etc, I read about using a 430 patched ball in a .45 ?
Mathematically, I don't get it, but I want safety and accuracy, so what should I be using?
Revolvers are designed to use an oversize ball without any patch. The ball is swaged into the chamber. Single shot pistols and rifles are designed to use an undersize ball with a cloth or paper patch. The patch takes up the space between the ball and the barrel wall and seals the gas behind the ball.
Quote:
Also, how often should the 1858 be totally disassembled for a full cleaning?
Whatever makes you comfortable. Many people totally disassemble their revolvers after every use. I don't; I prefer to clean the internal parts periodically depending on how often their used. Usually every third or fourth, sometimes fifth use, but at least twice a year whether the gun gets used or not.
Quote:
And what method of cleaning should I use on the Jukar? I can't pour hot water through it-there is no "through"
Does it have to be completely disassembled?
Remove the barrel, submerge the breech end in water, use a cleaning jag and a wet cloth patch as a hydraulic ram to force water in and out of the nipple hole. The jag & patch will seal the bore well enough that you can actually suck water in the nipple hole as you draw it out of the barrel.

Page generated in 0.02913 seconds with 8 queries