View Single Post
Old April 4, 2011, 07:11 PM   #1
stu925

.223 Rem load in Mini-14

Finally got the chance to test some of the loads I worked up for my new Mini-14. Figured I'd share my results and thoughts. Components used were: Armscor 62gr FMJ bullets, H335 Powder, CCI 450 Magnum Small Rifle primers, and once fired Winchester brass. Cartridge Overall length was 2.220 which is about as long as I can go in the magazine.

Long story short, the most accurate load so far is 23.0gr H335 under the 62gr bullet, smallest group was 1.58" with an average group size of around 3" at 100 yards (had one flier in each of the other 3 groups which was a result of me jerking the trigger). If not for the fliers, Average group size would have been around 2". Average velocity for this load is 2618fps. I'm sure I can shrink this group with more shooting to smooth out the trigger. Rifle has about 200 rounds through it as of today.

My thoughts are that the Armscor bullets for the price shoot pretty well in this rifle for a plinking bullet. Since 23.0gr of powder was my starting load I'm not sure if I should back it off 1/2gr or not to see if accuracy improves. I did find out that the faster I drive these bullets, the worse the groups get so backing it off may help a little. Also test fired these loads in a friends Colt HBAR, none of the loads shot well. Overall the Mini-14 shoots pretty well but I suspect bedding the action and a trigger job would shrink groups quite a bit, I'll have to put a few more rounds down range before I decide on doing those.

Stu

Last edited by stu925; April 4, 2011 at 08:09 PM.

Page generated in 0.02008 seconds with 8 queries