View Single Post
Old May 29, 2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Humble1

Crooked Armalite AR-30A1 and AR-50A1 muzzle breaks

Is it a big deal if the muzzle breaks on these big guns aren't level? I recently bought an AR-50 and two AR-30A1's in 338LM and during the scope mounting process, realized that the muzzle breaks are threaded on just a few degrees (I'm guessing) too much. To get them back to square/level the break would have to be loosened a bit...which I don't want to do. In other words, if I put a bubble level on the top scope cap (like shown in Wheeler's scope mounting video) another level on the muzzle break and a third on any other "level" surface of these guns, I just can't get all three to match up. The guns all shoot great and I could not be happier with the groups I am getting, plus the recoil is amazingly light. However, there is this little voice in the back of my head saying, "It's not level. Shouldn't I try to fix it?"

I did match the scope cap level and reticle to the level on the muzzle break. The vertical line in the scope isn't perfectly aligned with the bore, which was the compromise. The way I see it, the projectile could really care less if it is rotated a few degrees or not...right? THIS IS WHAT I AM STRUGGLING WITH. My reasoning for matching the break and the reticle's horizontal line was that I wanted the break level to eliminate any variances in the gases pushing down more on one side or the other and possibly causing the barrel to hop to one side. On a bench, it may matter, but on uneven ground, the point is mute. Maybe I am just over thinking this, need to relax and be happy, but I thought you folks may have some insight....and if your advice is to "just let it go"....then I'll sleep better at night knowing that put it out there for discussion.

Thanks is advance if any of you have time to add any insight.

Last edited by Humble1; May 31, 2013 at 02:22 PM. Reason: adding the word "Crooked" to maybe get better response.

Page generated in 0.03723 seconds with 8 queries