View Single Post
Old November 23, 2009, 09:49 PM   #17
kilimanjaro

The availability of some WWII surplus is rapidly declining. The golden days are gone. I'd start out with a C&R license and immediately get the following at the current prices:

Russia (Important Belligerent)
1.) Russian Nagant revolver
2.) Mosin-Nagant M91/30
3.) Mosin-Nagant M38
4.) Mosin-Nagant M44

Later on, you can add a SVT40 if you can fine one.

For the remaining Belligerents, a lot of good surplus is gone or soon to be.

UK (Important Belligerent)
1.) SMLE Mk. 4 (You want a British, Long Branch (Canada), and Savage makes)
2.) SMLE Mk. 3 (You want a British and an Australian arsenal, one of each)
3.) SMLE Mk. 5
4.) Enfield revolver .38/200 (without the later added safety.

USA (Important Belligerent)
1.) 1911A1 .45
2.) M1 Carbine (wait for a good one)
3.) M1 Garand (CMP is best)
4.) 1903 Springfield (we started the war with 'em)
5.) 1903A3

Japan (Important Belligerent)
1.) Type 38 Arisaka
2.) Type 99 Arisaka

Germany Russia (Important Belligerent)
1.) Kar98, German made, the Russian Capture rifles are not 'pure', but the history is there and they are good weapons. I have a 1940 in great shape, I wonder if it got from France to the Eastern Front, and where it was captured: early at Stalingrad? later in Pomerania?
2.) P08 Luger, spend the bucks on a nice one, and on another one to shoot.
3.) P38 Walther, the Russian Captures are the best price, these aren't worth shelling out for a matching original finish Western Front piece.

Italy (Important Belligerent)
1.) Carcano

France (Important Belligerant)
1.) MAS 1936

India (Important Belligerent)
1.) SMLE Mk. III (Ishapore arsenal)

Finland (Important Belligerent)
1.) M1939
2.) Any Russian Mosin-Nagant with SA markings.

You should pick up bayonets, slings, pouches, etc., for any WWII rifle as they come available. Get as good of condition as you can afford at the time, and the best one you can get. When you know the calibers you are going to be getting, start buying ammunition whenever you see it, all you can.

You can get one nice example of everything above for about $7,500, or somewhat less or somewhat more.

The lesser Belligerants, like Yugoslavia, Poland, Dutch, etc., you can pick up if you want to expand your collection, and also add handguns as well.
Sweden was such an important Neutral, I'd add a Swedish Mauser while you can still find them. The Swiss K31 is another Neutral if you want one, but I see them being available forever at the shows due to ammunition availability. A Turkish Mauser with wartime date would be a good Neutral to get. Also, there are a lot of Mausers for the smaller Allied and Axis powers, they had troops in the fray, so there's Siam, Romania, Czech, Hungary, Belgium, etc., etc. Finland used a lot of stuff, it's marked SA, generally Russian, but some German goods, too.

Page generated in 0.03176 seconds with 8 queries