View Single Post
Old March 15, 2009, 01:54 PM   #4
zippy13

Do you want good loads OR cheap loads? For good loads look for sales on tournament target loads by any major manufacturer. For cheap loads find specials on promotional loads. Inexpensive "quail and dove" loads are seasonally common. If you really want good AND cheap loads, then consider reloading.

You didn't mention what type of gun you have. Generally, the more complicated the gun the more finicky it may become: Hinge guns (SS, SxS, O/U) are the omnivores of the shotgun world -- they'll eat just about anything. Many subside on a diet of unsized reloads. Pump action guns can be troublesome if the shells are dimensionally out of spec, and you can have feeding problems. To the pump's feeding problems, with an auto-loader you can add the failure to cycle and or eject to the finicky shell problems.

I'm curious why lipadj46 cautioned against using Winchester "stuff". If their "stuff" doesn't work, then why is it so popular among the tournament shooters? Or, has he had problems with one specific Winchester load in a specific gun? I've shot the majority of my tournament 100-straights with Winchester AAs. However, I shoot an un-finicky O/U.

Page generated in 0.03182 seconds with 8 queries