View Single Post
Old July 27, 2012, 09:48 AM   #15
ScotchMan

For some reason, I get a lot of flack from certain people on this forum when I talk about my SR9c experiences. But for the sake of sharing knowledge, I won't let that stop me.

My first handgun was an SR9c. After about 300-400 rounds, the trigger started failing to reset. I had to send it back to Ruger, they had it back to me within two weeks (I requested they expedite it because it was my only gun and I had a class coming up). Great customer service. They said they replaced the firing assembly with "stronger parts", which begs the question why not build them that way in the first place. I know of several cases locally where people had the same issue, but it is always good to go after it comes back from Ruger.

After about 1,000 rounds, I noticed barrel peening. I will let you Google this and draw your own conclusions, but I sent Ruger a picture and let THEM decide if I should send it in, and they requested that I do so. They replaced the barrel as a one-time "courtesy" and made it clear future replacements would be on me. This struck me as strange since they were the ones who felt it warranted being sent in, and replaced, but that I was on my own next time it happened.

At any rate, I shopped around and found a carry gun I liked more. It fit me better, and had features I wanted, and lacked features I didn't want. For me, this was no manual safety, no mag disconnect, and I preferred a hammer-fired gun.

So, I had some minor negative experiences which Ruger mostly made right depending on where you fall on the "peening, is it good or bad or irrelevant" debate.

The gun never had a malfunction in over 1,300 rounds, other than the reset failure which was resolved early in its life. It was accurate, light-recoiling, easy to conceal and carry, and a good value. The trigger on mine was really nice. Personally, I would probably point someone towards an M&P if they were interested in the Ruger, because it has a similar feature set, still has great S&W customer service, and is made in America. But the SR9c is a good choice too.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member

Page generated in 0.02197 seconds with 8 queries