View Single Post
Old December 23, 2012, 04:09 PM   #1
CookieMonster

Issues with reloading

I bought a press quite some time ago, and I have been running into various odd issues. I am not quite sure exactly what is wrong but hopefully somebody can shed some light on this...

Recently, I finished a batch of around 100 .308's. I prep the brass by first tumbling, then lubing, full length resize/decap, trim to proper length, deburr inside/outside of case, clean and uniform flash holes, then re-tumble my brass for an hour or so to help get residue out.
Then I prime, charge, and seat my bullet. I finish with a light crimp on the bullet. Id imagine this is mostly fairly standard.

I usually set my OAL at around 2.800.

The issue I was having was that my hand loaded ammunition wasn't cycling in my rifle properly. The bolt actually will not fully close into battery. My rifle is a DSA SA58 (FAL type) and in great shape. Has no issues cycling any other ammunition.

One possible thing I feel it may be, or this might not have any relation to the problem, but after full length resizing it seems at the very base of the case approximately 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch up from the ejector groove there seems to be a circle going around... as if the die did not completely resize the brass. Its not something you can easily see but when you inspect them I can see the 'ring'. I am mostly sure my die is set right. I even tried adjusting it down a little farther but the die hits my shell plate.

Sorry for the long winded question, but hopefully someone can answer whats going on here! All of the ammunition I put together I will not shoot through my gun before I figure out the cause of the bolt lockup issue.

Equipment:
Lock N Load AP
Hornady New Dimension dies / Hornady One Shot spray lube

Page generated in 0.02329 seconds with 8 queries