View Single Post
Old April 29, 2002, 10:44 PM   #67
topstrap

I see that many others are also having problems with the L-N-L Hornady press. I finally got the primer shuttle problem solved when I slightly beveled the lower leading edge so it'll ride up on the primer punch if it sticks up slightly because of a bit of powder getting under it. I broke quite a few of the shuttles before I figured out that one. My nut would not stay tight on the bottom of the primer punch. Finally got it tight enough with a big pair of vise grips. I've battled one thing or another with the L-N-L press since I got it a couple of years ago. I had the older Pro 7 progressive loader and it worked flawlessly for a number of years. I've always had problems with breaking decapping pins with this press, It looks like one of the holes the dies (seating) fit into is off center slightly and the decapping pin always is bent to the same side. It indexes perfectly on the balls and everything is tight and adjusted. Just have never been able to stop that problem. It'a a big tough beefy looking press that is painted a really pretty shade of red but it's been a real pain to keep running.

Today I got a new 550B and in about an hour it was set up and running perfectly.. it isn't progressive in the way that it rotates automaticly but a slight flick of the thumb and it's turned, not a big deal but I'm really impressed with how well it operates. I still like the Hornady powder measure better than the Dillon and might someday switch mine to the Dillon press but for now I'll see how well the Dillon works. I think the Dillon dies are the absolute best I've seen with some nifty features that others do not have.

If I was to do it over again I'd not buy the Hornady L-N-L and get the Dillon instead right off. I have had problems with getting parts to repair the Hornady until finally getting the right person and telling them what happened. Dillon has a total no BS warranty and many of my friends pass along stories that back that up even after something breaks that is totally their fault.

It would be much better to actually go to a friends house and use all types of machines you're interested in, but I'd also listen to the guys that load a lot of ammo and most of them figure out what works and what doesn't. Lot's of money for any of them so spend it wisely....

Page generated in 0.03586 seconds with 8 queries