View Single Post
Old June 23, 2013, 11:56 AM   #4
WVsig

Quote:
Which is not to say skip practicing for traditional accuracy.

Physical habits become natural. The more natural the position becomes and the position of your firearm, the more likely you will adopt it in times of stress.

All shooting disciplines benefit you're overall ability.
Should the poop hit the fan and I'm not the one armed, I'd hope whoever I am next to is a bullseye shooter who practices with his CCW for SD sometimes, rather them the guy who does nothing but shoot for "combat accuracy".
I tend to agree with this line of thinking. You want to practice shooting as accurately as possible under ideal and less than ideal conditions. Your goal should be that under ideal conditions at the range you can keep all of your shots within 2" on a paper target at 7 to 10 yards. IMHO If you are able to do this with proficiency you are developing positive muscle memory that you will be better able to replicate under stress. As the conditions worsen accuracy will logically decrease. To me the goal is to be able to combat shoot effectively in stressful less than ideal conditions. So in some ways I agree with the OP but the video seems to show someone shooting with "combat accuracy" under ideal conditions which IMHO is setting the bar too low.

When faced with a real world self defense situation adrenaline etc... will effect your shooting. If all you have practiced for is to hit a 5" center mass area under ideal conditions the chances of you being able to replicate that under stress goes down considerably.

For example a person who can place all their shots in a 2" target under no stress at 7 yards will have a better chance at scoring real world positive hits in a life threatening situation. One can reasonably expect that 2" group to double if not triple in a self defense situation. The same goes for that a person who shoots 5" groups under ideal conditions. Their groups under pressure become 10" and 15" groups which means missing center mass and maybe even the intended target.

To the OP look at your target at 3:00 in your video. Where did that flyer go? If you are teaching or preaching center mass why the head shots? I think your intentions are sound but the advice and the demonstration seems to miss the mark. IMHO

Last edited by WVsig; June 23, 2013 at 12:06 PM.

Page generated in 0.02986 seconds with 8 queries