View Single Post
Old October 3, 2012, 11:19 PM   #22
iMagUdspEllr

I apologize if this counts as "resurrecting" the thread. I was busy but I still want to address what wpsdlrg said.

@wpsdlrg: If I knew what gun malfunctioned and how it malfunctioned I could have a better idea of how it failed, and more importantly, how to prevent it. The cause is just as important as the effect. Focusing on the effect and not the cause isn't a good path to solving an issue.

"...that ANY pistol that can or must be carried cocked (with a loaded chamber) has the potential for unintended discharge problems."

Every gun has the potential for unintended discharge problems. If you drop a gun that has a firing pin that isn't attached to the hammer on the muzzle... a firing pin block (specifically one that impedes the path of the firing pin/striker) is all that is there to stop the pistol from discharging. If your gun has a firing pin attached to the hammer and you drop the gun on the hammer the gun will fire (and I don't believe guns that have firing pins on the hammer have firing pin blocks... because they are single action revolvers).

So, lets talk about this "potential". Specifically, a cocked PPQ will only fire if:
1) The sear releases the striker.
2) The firing pin block is not in the path of the striker.

"Potentially" how can the sear release the striker by itself? How can the firing pin block not do its job if you actually cleaned it? These things don't happen by magic.

"If the FP block is sticking, it MIGHT not be much of a safety aid, even in your nice clean weapon."

So what you are telling me is that a maintained weapon will just stop working by magic? If the firing pin block is clean... then how can it stick? Dirt can cause it to stick... but we already established it is clean. So, what are you saying?

"Again, the FP block is NOT foolproof. If it happens to be sticking in the "off" position, due to manufacturing debris, built up crud or whatever, it will be NO protection at all in the situation which you describe. In that scenario, the position of the trigger has no bearing or effect. And here is where the rationalization can start. I can hear it now - "oh, the odds of that ever happening are very small !!!" Yes, very true - but I DID acknowledge the remote nature of the possibility (in my previous post). However remote though, this scenario certainly CAN happen."

So how does it stick in the "off" position? If its dirty, right? So, since we cleaned it then it won't stick right? I don't see an issue unless you don't maintain your gun. No, the odds of the firing pin block getting dirty are good. However, the odds of it falling into a state where it will fail is up to you. Inspect your gun, make sure it works, and then it will. Also, the firing pin block doesn't even begin to do its job unless the sear-striker relationship is already messed up. You still have to explain what has gone wrong to cause the striker to just start autonomously slipping off the sear before you begin to criticize the firing pin block.

"Certainly.....and I am glad to hear it. However, "very easy" does NOT translate into "everybody does it as often as they should"."

I have no sympathy for people who buy a gun and then don't do their utmost to learn how to safely maintain and use it. You can't blame a car for breaking down if you never change the oil. The difference is that a gun is intended to be deadly, while a car is merely intended to be transportation. So, you should probably take the maintenance of a gun more seriously than your car. (Please note, if there is a malfunction that arises because of the manufacturer/design I squarely lay the blame on the manufacturer/designer's shoulders.)

"If that is not your assertion, then my "reasoning" cannot possibly be flawed - it is simply a statement of fact."

Where your reasoning is flawed is that you are turning the blame towards the gun instead of your lack of maintenance. And, like I pointed out, a gun will only fail you if you don't maintain it.

Page generated in 0.04434 seconds with 8 queries