View Single Post
Old March 31, 2009, 09:46 AM   #22
Dingoboyx

True, well put Djohn

When I hunt, I go where they go.... I go dressed up like a pine tree or a shrub or something (apart from roos, but when they are starving, it is terrible to see.... they are going to turn up their toes soon anyway) Sure, we track them (deer, pigs, goats) and find their watering holes etc, but we HUNT them, fair and square. IMO it is very rewarding.

One mate of mine went on a roo shoot for a farmer (one of the ones I mentioned earlier) they were just coming out of a drought, the roos were eating anything they planted and were still starving, the farmer asked for help. Ted and a few of the guys obliged, went to his farm near lightening ridge. The rules were, leave them where they drop, but dont leave any on the road thru the property, & shoot as many as you can. Ted took his trusty 223 and 1000 rounds. The roos had never seen people and it turned into a bit of a shooting gallery. Ted, a keen hunter, wasnt impressed with this, but to do the farmer a favour, he did the shoot anyway. after 2 days, ted had used up his 1000 rounds and was real mad.... he missed with one round
The other guys bagged a couple of hundred. On the way back to the farm house, they moved any off the road. The farmer was grateful, asked how many they got. Ted said he got 999 and the others 200 or so, the farmer laughed aparently he thought they were exagerating. A week later the farmer rang and was saying he couldnt believe what he saw. He had been up and down the road a dozen times and didnt see a dead roo, til he parked and walked up & over the embankment and saw what he described as
"a scene of utter distruction" he reckoned it looked like WW111, carcases everywhere. Certainly was greatful (stunned) to get rid of so many.

Ted didnt find it sporting to shoot the roos like that, so I can understand the bear shooters taking the easy way and attracting them with food and just nailing them one after the other, but I guess, like Ted, you just have to do what you have to do to get rid of pests

I'll stick to dressing up like a bush and going after them, but thats just me and my humble opinion

Muzza

Page generated in 0.03071 seconds with 8 queries