View Single Post
Old October 6, 2000, 05:32 PM   #25
Skorzeny

tprT:

I sigh, because I deal with this a lot. I've dealt with this unwillingness to try something new from A LOT of martial artists and non-martial artists.

If I could count with my fingers the number of Tae Kwon Do practitioners, Karateka, boxers, etc. etc. who say that grappling techniques are not effective or necessary for self-defense and continue to bury their heads in sand, I'd have a lot of fingers, indeed (certainly enough to be a lab subject)!

If my frustration shows through, it's not really meant for you and, for that, I apologize. You are really the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak.

It's one thing if people gain some modicum of experience in a grappling system and then critically analyze it (strengths and weaknesses), but often the critiques or dismissals are based on non-existent or superficial understanding of a grappling-based martial art. Too many folks require DIRECT and PERSONAL experience to finally "see" it. I guess I get frustrated by that, because I follow Prinz von Bismarck's motto that "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I prefer to learn from those of others."

BTW, I want to make it clear that I don't hold BJJ as the be-all, end-all of martial arts. As I emphasized before, a lot depends on the context of what techniques are used in what situations. I don't even practice BJJ much anymore (I practice more Shooto, aka Shoot wrestling, now a days). I also train in Muay Thai and Arnis (mostly knife combatives) on top of firearms training (AND PT based on Pavel Tsatsouline's methods - he is a former PT coach for Soviet Spetznaz).

Anyway, good luck to you and hopefully I haven't turned you away from checking out some grappling (BJJ, non-Olympic Judo, Sambo, Catch wrestling etc.) in the future. I haven't forgotten that you are one of the good guys (LEO).

Ah, as for my occupation, I work in an investigative capacity in the defense industry and let's just leave it at that.

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Page generated in 0.02442 seconds with 8 queries