View Single Post
Old October 4, 2000, 03:00 PM   #9
pocat

I agree -

Stand-up techniques have their place, but 80% of all street-fighting encounters end up on the ground, according to FBI stats.

I started training in Tae-kwon-do in high school, and moved on to Jeet-kune-do in my later years. Both styles emphasize stand-up techniques such as punching, kicking, elbows, knees, etc...
I thought my fighting skills were sufficient enough to defend myself in almost any situation, until I sparred "freestyle" with a Brazillian Jiu-jitsu student. I threw one kick, and soon found myself on the ground with him on my back, cranking my neck.

I soon enrolled in the local Gracie Jiu-jitsu training chapter. Within 3 or 4 months, I was competent enough on the ground to "tap-out" other less-experienced students who outweighed me by 50-60 lbs. After about a year in training, I could hold my own against a black-belt in Judo, a 4th-degree black belt in TKD, and a state high school wrestling champ. The 4D TKD BB is a good friend of mine who has taught for over 20 years. I "tapped him out" in 2 minutes.

Brazillian Jiu-jitsu isn't the most entertaining spectator sport for the uninitiated. To a casual observer, it looks like two guys rolling around on the ground. Watching flying kicks and punches is more fun to watch, but when it comes to practical, effective self-defense, BJJ wins hands-down, IMHO.

My best advice is:
1. Study BOTH stand-up AND ground-fighting arts.
2. Finish the fight on your feet if you can, but chances are you're going to the ground.
Even a stronger, bigger experienced street fighter will eventually extend an arm, leg or neck in a fight. That is your opportunity. Lock the joint or choke him. Just don't wait for him to tap out. BREAK the joint or KNOCK HIM OUT with the choke.

Page generated in 0.05723 seconds with 8 queries