Thread: Point shooting
View Single Post
Old January 11, 2012, 01:52 PM   #13
Bartholomew Roberts

Recently, I tried various methods of point shooting (Applegate/FBI-style vs. indexing on pectoral muscle) and compared them to my normal draw at 5m.

At the end of the day, the score was best sighted fire run 1.29 sec for 2 shots (actually at 5m) with the slowest run at 2.06 sec. For retention/unsighted fire, the best run was 1.37 sec (Applegate). and the worst 2.24 sec.

Not suprisingly, accuracy was better with sighted fire, though unsighted fire did better than I expected. The group size was good; but it tended to be low of where I was looking and would have been under the thoracic cavity of a person.

So I don't necessarily know if I buy the idea that point shooting is appreciably faster than sighted shooting. Maybe those numbers just reflect my slavish devotion to practicing sighted fire.

Ultimately, you have to align the pistol with your target to make hits. Using the sights allows you to visually verify that you are aligned with your targets, and with lots of practice using the sights, you'll soon find you can align with your target whether the sights are there or not.

Page generated in 0.02063 seconds with 8 queries