View Single Post
Old August 25, 2012, 07:07 PM   #13
QuarterHorse

Sighted it in today. Had a BLAST getting this done. My wife had zero interest in shooting it but had fun with our M&P 15-22 today while I was playing with the T/C.

Learned a good leason in swabbing the barrel. I KNEW I SHOULD do it, but didn't know how much impact it'd have. I knew something like what I'm about to explain would happen, but figured I'd have to witness it on my own first.

I fired 7 rounds and didn't bother touching it. Got it on paper at 25 yards, then bumped her back to 100 and was pretty close to center with two touching. Ran a patch down, and it was obviously pretty nasty. At that point I thought I'd run about 3 patches down and then 2 dry patches. Shot again just to see where it was at, and HOLY COW I was about 6" high and an inch to two left. I expected something different but not that extreme!

I kind of chuckled about it. I thought I'd patch then dry swab the barrel and make zero adjustments to just see if I was doing something completely dumb. Shot again, and it was touching the same hole that was high and left. At that point I knew it was the extra fouled barrel. At that point I took a pre-saturated T/C patch and a dry swab down the barrel between every shot. I got 'er walked right in at 100 yards.

This thing is an awesome fire arm. I got it on sale and had been wanting one for a few years to go hunting an extra season, and it was just another tool to have in the safe. I'm so glad I got it. After a thorough cleaning at the range I bagged it up and took it home. I plan on heading back to the range this week just to double check my zero and to see of the thorough cleaning changed anything.

I was using 2 Pyrodex 50 gr pellets with a T/C Plated H/P Sabot @ 250 grains. I'm sure I could tighten things up, but not sure how much tighter honestly. Two touching @ 100 yards is pretty good for me, especially when I'm only after "minute of deer" on the first outing. If I were fortunate enough to live on a piece of land where I could just go outside to my own range, I may look to work something better up, but again, I'm pleased with the pellets so far.

I'm stoked for the extra deer season this year, and I think it's going in the bag on a hog hunt in Oklahoma with me as a "just in case" meaning I tag one with my .308 right away I'll want to hit one with the muzzleloader for more fun.

My desk this morning

My wife checking to make sure I really did have two touching in several spots on the paper while walking it in to center lol.

Page generated in 0.03894 seconds with 8 queries