View Single Post
Old March 26, 2007, 01:32 PM   #11
Gewehr98

Low-powered, my a$$.

Quote:
It was a lot of fun, but it is still a relatively low powered round, if you want accuracy and reach, buy an AR or M1A.
A 6mm PPC is a low-powered round, and they're making itty-bitty groups way out there. The PPC family, BTW, is a descendant of the 7.62x39 cartridge ("the round is not as inherently accurate as the .223 or .308.") Wanna see a benchrest 7.62x39 built in NorCal on a Contender action that goes 1/4 MOA? Not all gunsmiths have problems extracting accuracy from given rounds. That's why I also don't believe in the "inherent accuracy" myth. Build a gun that's properly tuned to the cartridge it shoots, and all is well.

The original poster didn't ask about using an accurized SKS to drop buffalo at 1000 yards. I've taken whitetail quite cleanly and humanely with my Bulgarian AK in 7.62x39, and have the venison in the freezer to prove it. I doubt the deer would be any more dead were I to thwack it with one of my .30-06 or .45-70 rifles.

Yeah, as Hedley mentioned, I did spend a bunch of time and effort accurizing a Norinco SKS. I didn't replace the barrel with a Shilen or Krieger (yet), but free-floated it and removed as much harmonic imbalance as I could. It still looks like an SKS for the most part, albeit glass-bedded, with a Kivaari trigger, lapped locking lugs, minimal gas tube, etc. Since the pictures below were taken, the rear sight block has been shaved down, drilled and tapped, and the brass deflector permanently mounted to what remains.

I load all my 7.62x39 for my SKS and AK rifles. With my AA1680 handloads, the reworked SKS below will put 3 rounds into an inch at 100 yards, witnessed and verified. Since it got lightened up a whole bunch by the target rework, it also carries on the shoulder quite nicely, so I may take it out this fall as a semi-auto variation on the venerable, and ballistically-similar, .30-30 Winchester.

Neural Misfires

Page generated in 0.02310 seconds with 8 queries